Horrific - 59 Dead in Las Vegas Shooting.

Chat about anything + everything!
MelSpice
Site Admin

Horrific - 59 Dead in Las Vegas Shooting.

Post by MelSpice » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:13 pm

As a person who lives in Australia - a country who, when we had an atrocity here in 1996 when Martin Bryant shot and killed 35 people - and wounded many others - in Port Arthur, Tasmania, took action straight away when our Prime Minister John Howard initiated a Gun Amnesty and basically paid people to hand in their rifles as well as putting new gun laws into place - it totally confounds and astounds me how in America, this is allowed to go on and on.

So in the American constitution there is "A right to bare arms" - how about your citizens - and tourists - right to go to a concert, a movie theatre, a church, college, high school - or heck even elementary school - without the fear of getting shot.

What about the right of a parent, husband, wife, son, daughter, brother, sister or friend not to have to bury their loved ones due to a senseless act of violence.

What about the right of American citizens and it's tourists to enjoy everything your wonderful country has to offer without the fear of getting shot.

No person who lives in a city or suburbia needs a semi automatic weapon or rifle. I accept that people who live on the land and in rural areas may need a gun - but not one that can shoot round after round in seconds.

I feel so much for the people who where involved in this horrific shooting in Las Vegas - 59 killed + over 500 injured - many fighting for their lives. I feel for the family and friends who now have to plan funerals and come to terms with the fact their loved one isn't coming home from a country music concert.

I am however tired of hearing of shooting after shooting and politicians sending "thoughts and prayers" - how about you send some bills to congress and get some laws in place to stop this ever happening again. I just happened to catch the beginning of James Corden tonight and his speech was so eloquent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYi1YUNOguk

Come on America - it's time for you to say enough is enough. It's time for better gun laws. You son, daughter, husband or wifes' lives could depend on it.

Sending all my condolences & prayers to those affected. XX

Spice Force 5

Re: Horrific - 59 Dead in Las Vegas Shooting.

Post by Spice Force 5 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:19 pm

I agree with everything you said Mel. This tragedy is so horrific and sad, but it’s also preventable with stricter gun laws (or just banning them altogether). We in America, nor the people who visit this country, shouldn’t have to fear for our lives when we go out to concerts, movie theaters, malls, night clubs,or even when we send our children off to school. It’s too easy to obtain a gun and then go out and cause mass devastation like what happened in Vegas. There’s no reason for this to continue happening, yet sadly it will until someone does something about the gun laws here :/ :(

melcfan4life

Post by melcfan4life » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:15 pm

Yes it's pretty sad and I agreed with everything you said!

It's the same for the UK gun law after Dunblane School massacre which leaves 18 children dead. So the government decided to ban the guns unlicensed altogether.

It's sad the world we live in! :(

Dr Vera Esperanto

Post by Dr Vera Esperanto » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:32 pm

Do you want the legislators to ignore the constitution?

jimmylo

Post by jimmylo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:56 pm

The 2nd amendment is proof that the constitution can be modified and, behold: amended. Nothing wrong with adjusting things to make sense in today's world.

Dr Vera Esperanto

Post by Dr Vera Esperanto » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:25 pm

Indeed. It would be a great idea to amend it. Unfortunately it’s not a realistic proposition any time soon.